Last weekend we went up to Oldina Lodge at Falls Creek in Victoria for a staff retreat. It was expected to be very cold but nothing like what eventuated!! After starting to rain on the Friday afternoon (which made for a scary trip up the mountain in the fog and rain), raining all day Saturday, we awoke Sunday morning to a blanket of snow!
There was only a few centimetres so I decided to go for a walk - after about 15 minutes it started to come down heavier and I quickly lost my bearings and retraced my footprints, just barely visible in the deepening snow. Most of the photos I've taken were from behind the glass in the upstairs window - the best way to look at the snow - in the warmth and comfort with a roaring fire behind me!
After lunch we headed home very slowly down the mountain ... such a beautiful sight.
Some of the things that I learned from the retreat:
- The body can defend or grow - but it cannot do both at the same time!
- That health is Optimum physical, mental and social well being and not necessarily the absence of disease.
- There is no such thing as failure, there are only results.
- Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there - Will Rogers.
- Have positive goals and not negative ones.
- Adversity does not build character, it reveals it.
To live a more satisfying life I will:
- Count my blessings
- Practice random acts of kindness
- Savour life's joys
- Thank a mentor
- Learn to forgive
- Invest time in friends and family
- Take care of my body
- Develop strategies for coping with stress and hardship
"So I pray that God, who gives you hope, will keep you happy and full of peace as you believe in Him. May you overflow with hope through the power of the Holy Spirit." Romans 15:13 ( Thanks Judy!)